Check out this article to learn more about everything you can do from the sales document settings in Holded.
- Go to the Control menu
- Click on Settings
- Access Invoicing
- Select Documents
Sales document settings in Holded allow you to create numbering lines for each document type, as well as enable internal numbering on your purchase documents and set other preferences.
Managing numbering lines and internal numbering
Create numbering lines for each document type
When creating the numbering lines for each document type, Holded will automatically assign, based on the format, a different number to each new document to avoid repetition.
- Go to Preferences by document type
- Select one of the document types in the sidebar
- Click the Add line button at the bottom right of the screen
- In the pop-up window, use the Name field to assign an identifying name to the line, e.g., Invoice Numbering
- Under Format, set a default format
Use [YY] or [YYYYYY] and the % symbol to automatically calculate the year and number in the numbering lines.
The format F[YY]%%% will be converted to F21-001, F21-002 numbering. The format F[YYYYYY]%%%% will become F2021-0001, F2021-0002, F2021-0003. In the case of Purchase and Purchase refund documents, we recommend that you use the format C%%%%-[YY] so that the internal number displayed is in this style C0001-21.
- The Last num. field is automatically updated with each new invoice in order to be able to assign subsequent numbers to the next invoices registered in the platform
- Hit Create
- Back in the list, drag the line you have created to the first position in the list if you want it to be the default numbering
Example case in the creation of numbering lines
Suppose you want your invoices to be numbered with the format FAC0001-2021. To do this, you will have to enter the following data:
- Name: Numbering for invoices
- Format: FAC%%%%-[YYYYY]
- Last num.: 0
As a result, this is the type of numbering that will appear in the invoices you create: FAC0001-2021, FAC0001-2021, FAC0001-2021, FAC0001-2021, etc.
Activate internal numbering in purchase documents
For purchases and purchase refunds, you can activate the internal numbering to have internal control of the numbering of the invoices accounted, in addition to the numbering of your supplier.
- Go to Preferences by document type
- Select Purchases or Purchases refunds in the sidebar
- Click on the Turn on internal numbering button
- Confirm the action
To deactivate the internal numbering, simply click the Turn off internal numbering button.
Edit numbering lines
- From Preferences by document type, select the document you want to edit
- Click on the line you want to edit
- Edit the necessary information and click Save
If you want to delete the numbering line, simply click on the Delete option in this same window
In case the invoice number does not change automatically, or the desired number does not appear, it likely is because you have edited an invoice number manually or deleted a particular invoice. In this situation:
- Edit the numbering line of the document type you are working with
- In the Last num. field, enter the number before the one you want to appear on the new invoice. That is if you want the new invoice to be created with the number 2, enter the number 1 in the Last num. field
If you generate a sales invoice with the same number as an existing one, Holded will warn you with the following message: You already have a document with this number. Are you sure? And it will add the date, amount, and contact of the invoice with the same numbering.
Assign numbering lines to contacts
You can assign numbering lines to specific contacts for each of the following documents:
- Pro formas
- Sales receipts
- Purchase orders
- Sales orders
This option can be useful if, for example, you have two types of business and there are some customers that you invoice with a different numbering line than the general one.
Follow these steps to assign numbering lines that you have previously created to specific contacts:
- Go to Contacts from the navigation bar
- Select the contact you want to assign the numbering lines to
- In the contact's view, click Edit
- In the Edit contact window, go to the Preferences section
- Click on Assign default numbering lines
- For each of the listed document types, assign the appropriate numbering line
- Hit Save
The changes you make in this section will affect all new documents of this type that you generate in Holded. Remember that the numbering line per contact will prevail over the one assigned from Preferences per document type in the Document setup section.
Change the default numbering line in individual documents
There may be times when you need to use a different numbering line than the default for certain documents. In these cases:
- When creating the new document, click the Options button
- Under Numeration, use the drop-down to select the numbering line you want to use
Learn here how to create invoices in Holded.